upstream sent unexpected FastCGI record: 3 while reading response header from upstream

upstream sent unexpected FastCGI record: 3 while reading response header from upstream

S.A.N
I am getting random "upstream sent unexpected FastCGI record: 3 while
reading response header from upstream" while using Nginx with PHP7. So far I
was waiting for bug https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=67583 to be fixed by PHP
which they now have but I still get this error.

Everything works fine for few days and then suddenly I start getting this
error. How can I debug this in detail? Is there a way I could see or log
response from PHP (FastCGI) when this error occurs?

Posted at Nginx Forum: https://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,272936,272936#msg-272936

Re: upstream sent unexpected FastCGI record: 3 while reading response header from upstream

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 06:01:45PM -0400, jaigupta wrote:

> I am getting random "upstream sent unexpected FastCGI record: 3 while
> reading response header from upstream" while using Nginx with PHP7. So far I
> was waiting for bug https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=67583 to be fixed by PHP
> which they now have but I still get this error.
>
> Everything works fine for few days and then suddenly I start getting this
> error. How can I debug this in detail? Is there a way I could see or log
> response from PHP (FastCGI) when this error occurs?

Try debug log, see http://nginx.org/en/docs/debugging_log.html for
details.

http://nginx.org/

Re: upstream sent unexpected FastCGI record: 3 while reading response header from upstream

S.A.N
Thanks Maxim. Would this also log messages between Nginx and FastCGI when
error occurs?

Posted at Nginx Forum: https://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,272936,272953#msg-272953

Re: upstream sent unexpected FastCGI record: 3 while reading response header from upstream

S.A.N
I increased log level to debug and below is what I received.

[error] 7901#7901: *47646 upstream sent unexpected FastCGI record: 3 while
reading response header from upstream, client: xx.xx.xx.xx, server:
www.xxxxx.com, request: "GET / HTTP/1.1", upstream:
"fastcgi://unix:/var/run/php-fpm/xxx.fpm.sock:", host: "www.xxxxx.com"

Is there a way I could troubleshoot this or get more information?

Posted at Nginx Forum: https://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,272936,272962#msg-272962

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 09:16:19AM -0400, jaigupta wrote:

> I increased log level to debug and below is what I received.
>
> [error] 7901#7901: *47646 upstream sent unexpected FastCGI record: 3 while
> reading response header from upstream, client: xx.xx.xx.xx, server:
> www.xxxxx.com, request: "GET / HTTP/1.1", upstream:
> "fastcgi://unix:/var/run/php-fpm/xxx.fpm.sock:", host: "www.xxxxx.com"
>
> Is there a way I could troubleshoot this or get more information?

Please read the link provided:

http://nginx.org/en/docs/debugging_log.html

In particular, make sure that nginx you are using is built with
debugging support enabled.  If the above is the only message you
see with the loging level set to debug, the answer is probably
"no".

http://nginx.org/

Re: upstream sent unexpected FastCGI record: 3 while reading response header from upstream

S.A.N
Thank you. Nginx debug enabled for real.

Posted at Nginx Forum: https://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,272936,272966#msg-272966