Quantcast

upload xml file

Ran Shalit
Hello,

I am new with web servers and nginx.
I would like to ask if nginx support xml , and what does it mean to
upload xml to web server ?
Does it just keep the xml as file in some directory , or does it do
parse the xml file and do some actions ?

Thank you,
Ran

On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 12:19 AM, Jeff Dyke <[hidden email]> wrote:
> what do you want it to do? if you're talking nginx without any application
> backend you could do a lot with some lua locations, or you're going to pass
> that request to another process, or serve a static (xml) file from the file
> system.

Hi Jeff,

Thank you very much.
I have requirement that application should "support webserver which
includes xml and save xml file to filesystem"
Does it mean that it actually should " serve a static (xml) file from
the file" (the second option you mentioned).
If yes - can you give some hints about it or where to read further about it ?

Does it mean it just save and retrieve file parsing it to other
commands ? (I have read somewhere that uploading a file parse the
file, so I am a bit confused here)

I am new with nginx, still learning it.

Many thanks,
Ran

Nginx does support XML just fine, its all a matter of what you want

> your application to do.
>
> On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 12:01 PM, Ran Shalit <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am new with web servers and nginx.
>> I would like to ask if nginx support xml , and what does it mean to
>> upload xml to web server ?
>> Does it just keep the xml as file in some directory , or does it do
>> parse the xml file and do some actions ?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Ran

Re: upload xml file

Igal @ Lucee.org

Ran,

You would probably want to use an Application Server behind the Web Server (nginx).  Then you would use the nginx to proxy the request to the application server, where you can write code in the language that the application server supports (for example, I use Lucee as an application server, but many people use PHP or JSP or a bunch of other technologies).

In the application server you can do whatever you want with the request, e.g. read request parameters and build an XML document on the fly, and send it back to nginx which will send it back to the client.

nginx is a web server, similar in function to apache httpd or IIS, but much better in my opinion (and in the opinion of most users on this list, I would think), but if you want to serve dynamic content then you should have an application server behind it.

HTH,

Igal Sapir
Lucee Core Developer
Lucee.org

On Mar 11, 2017 9:04 PM, "Igal @ Lucee.org" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ran,
>
> You would probably want to use an Application Server behind the Web Server (nginx).  Then you would use the nginx to proxy the request to the application server, where you can write code in the language that the application server supports (for example, I use Lucee as an application server, but many people use PHP or JSP or a bunch of other technologies).
>
> In the application server you can do whatever you want with the request, e.g. read request parameters and build an XML document on the fly, and send it back to nginx which will send it back to the client.

Hi,
In case we just want to save xml file(like a binary file) and later read it, Is there any need for application in server or is it only nginx server required for such reuirement?
Thank you,
Ran

> nginx is a web server, similar in function to apache httpd or IIS, but much better in my opinion (and in the opinion of most users on this list, I would think), but if you want to serve dynamic content then you should have an application server behind it.
>
> HTH,
>
> Igal Sapir
> Lucee Core Developer
> Lucee.org
>
> On 3/10/2017 11:07 PM, Ran Shalit wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 12:19 AM, Jeff Dyke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> what do you want it to do? if you're talking nginx without any application
>>> backend you could do a lot with some lua locations, or you're going to pass
>>> that request to another process, or serve a static (xml) file from the file
>>> system.
>>
>> Hi Jeff,
>>
>> Thank you very much.
>> I have requirement that application should "support webserver which
>> includes xml and save xml file to filesystem"
>> Does it mean that it actually should " serve a static (xml) file from
>> the file" (the second option you mentioned).
>> If yes - can you give some hints about it or where to read further about it ?
>>
>> Does it mean it just save and retrieve file parsing it to other
>> commands ? (I have read somewhere that uploading a file parse the
>> file, so I am a bit confused here)
>>
>> I am new with nginx, still learning it.
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> Ran
>>
>> Nginx does support XML just fine, its all a matter of what you want
>>>
>>> your application to do.

Re: upload xml file

Igal @ Lucee.org

If this is a static file, i.e. a file that you upload to the server and is served as-is, then you do not need anything beyond nginx.  nginx does a great job at serving static content.

Igal Sapir
Lucee Core Developer
Lucee.org