unknown directive "geoip_country" for openresty/nginx 1.9.7.4

unknown directive "geoip_country" for openresty/nginx 1.9.7.4

j94305
Hi,

I've run into an issue which is very similar to
https://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,266453,266453#msg-266453, but with a
different version such that the solution for that (directive `load_module`)
is not available yet.

I am building a docker container of nginx with modsecurity and geoip on
Ubuntu Xenial, and I'm stuck with the geoip part as I can't find the
instructions for version 1.9.7.4, which doesn't support dynamic module. Can
someone please help?

I've tried a few things as in the following:

1. Add `--with-http_geoip_module` as an option for configure

2. `apt-get install ngx_http_geoip_module`, and it returns
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package ngx_http_geoip_module

3. Declaring 'load_module "modules/ngx_http_geoip_module.so";' and that is
not allowed as the load_module directive is not available in that version

4. Declaring geoip_country /usr/share/GeoIP/GeoIP.dat; results in `nginx:
[emerg] unknown directive "geoip_country" ...'

Thank you.

Posted at Nginx Forum: https://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,286043,286043#msg-286043

Re: unknown directive "geoip_country" for openresty/nginx 1.9.7.4

Francis Daly
On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 01:57:43PM -0400, skwok wrote:

Hi there,

> I am building a docker container of nginx with modsecurity and geoip on
> Ubuntu Xenial, and I'm stuck with the geoip part as I can't find the
> instructions for version 1.9.7.4, which doesn't support dynamic module. Can
> someone please help?
>
> I've tried a few things as in the following:
>
> 1. Add `--with-http_geoip_module` as an option for configure

That should work.

But you do need to be sure that you are using the nginx that was built
after this ./configure run.

> 4. Declaring geoip_country /usr/share/GeoIP/GeoIP.dat; results in `nginx:
> [emerg] unknown directive "geoip_country" ...'

That error message means that the nginx that is being used, does not
include the geoip module.

If you call the same nginx binary with a "-V" argument, it should show
you the configure arguments that were used when building that binary.

Does that show the full "configure" line that you expect? If not, then
something has happened between your "make" and your deployment.

(I've not tested with openresty, but I believe that it should be the
same as stock nginx from this perspective.)

Re: unknown directive "geoip_country" for openresty/nginx 1.9.7.4

j94305
Hi Francis,

Thank you for you response. It is assuring and it's helped me find a bug
later in the dockerfile that's replaced the nginx.

Best,

skwok

Posted at Nginx Forum: https://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,286043,286048#msg-286048