slice module got error when contents of upstream was updated

slice module got error when contents of upstream was updated

anish10dec
Helle,

I'm using nginx with slice module as a proxy.

One day, I got an error log such like a "etag mismatch in slice response
while reading response header from upstream".

The cause of this error was occurred when that some parts of response was
cached before updating the upstream contents but others was not cached.
So it's not be solved until the cache period is expired.

Do you have any solutions for this error?
I hope the slice module change the status of related caches to disable, when
the slice module got this error.

Thank you.

Posted at Nginx Forum: https://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,273307,273307#msg-273307

Re: slice module got error when contents of upstream was updated

Roman Arutyunyan
Hi,

On Mon, Apr 03, 2017 at 01:09:14AM -0400, t.nishiyori wrote:

> Helle,
>
> I'm using nginx with slice module as a proxy.
>
> One day, I got an error log such like a "etag mismatch in slice response
> while reading response header from upstream".
>
> The cause of this error was occurred when that some parts of response was
> cached before updating the upstream contents but others was not cached.
> So it's not be solved until the cache period is expired.
>
> Do you have any solutions for this error?
> I hope the slice module change the status of related caches to disable, when
> the slice module got this error.

It's supposed that the proxied response never changes.  If it does, the module
aborts sending the response and produces the error you have mentioned.
There's no simple way of making the output consistent for changeable responses
without introducing a significant overhead.

--
Roman Arutyunyan

Re: slice module got error when contents of upstream was updated

anish10dec
Hi Roman,

The slice module is awesome for caching my large content effectively.
But my contents are updated in any times.
I decide to implement some external tools for this error to hear your
answer.
Such like a monitoring error logs and purge unnecessary cache.

Thank you.

Posted at Nginx Forum: https://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,273307,273412#msg-273412