proxy_store: is it used much?

Roger Fischer
Hello,

proxy_store seems to be a much simpler alternative to “cache" pseudo-static resources. But there is very little discussion of it on the Internet or nginx forum (compared to proxy_cache).

Is there anything non-obvious that speaks agains the use of proxy_store?

Thanks…

Roger

RE: proxy_store: is it used much?

Reinis Rozitis
> proxy_store seems to be a much simpler alternative to “cache" pseudo-static resources.
>
> Is there anything non-obvious that speaks agains the use of proxy_store?

Depends on how you look at "much simpler".

proxy_store doesn't have a cache manager so space limitation/cleaning is up to you.
Also nginx doesn't save any headers (contrary to proxy_cache) with the stored file so next requests won't return expire / content-type etc what came originally from backend but based on the (local) proxy configuration.

The advantage is that there are no additional checks (like if the object is expired) or any additional requests to upstream. Also files are named and have the exact path as on backend (with proxy_cache nginx adds additional data in the beginning of each cached file).

Other than that there is nothing wrong or bad with proxy_store. I use it for a lazy repository mirror where I know the package/iso files won't change and the cached directory/file structure is more human readable / easy to inspect.

rr

Re: proxy_store: is it used much?

Igor Sysoev-2
> On 29 Oct 2019, at 02:08, Roger Fischer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> proxy_store seems to be a much simpler alternative to “cache" pseudo-static resources. But there is very little discussion of it on the Internet or nginx forum (compared to proxy_cache).
>
> Is there anything non-obvious that speaks agains the use of proxy_store?

proxy_store is useful for forever static files mirroring.
It does not track file changing and removal at origin.

--
Igor Sysoev
http://nginx.com