proxy_buffering off disable cache ?

Nelson Marcos
Hello all,

Right now we're using Nginx(as a proxy) to serve videos(4gb) and small objects(< 100k), using Openstack Swift as backend.

Yesterday, I tried turn proxy_buffering off to see if it would improve nginx performance but it didn't.

However, I realised that nginx stoped to write new files on proxy_temp_path and proxy_cache_path until  I turn proxy_buffering off.

I have two question:

1) Is that a expected behaviour? If I turn proxy_buffering off, nginx will disable cache and temp files?

2) If  proxy_buffering is on,  shouldn't nginx recieve the entire response, before send it to the cliente? Or does it wait only enough to fill the configured buffers?

Regards,
NM

Re: proxy_buffering off disable cache ?

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 02:21:55PM -0300, Nelson Marcos wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Right now we're using Nginx(as a proxy) to serve videos(4gb) and small
> objects(< 100k), using Openstack Swift as backend.
>
> Yesterday, I tried turn proxy_buffering off to see if it would improve
> nginx performance but it didn't.
>
> However, I realised that nginx stoped to write new files on proxy_temp_path
> and proxy_cache_path until  I turn proxy_buffering off.
>

> I have two question:
>
> 1) Is that a expected behaviour? If I turn proxy_buffering off, nginx will
> disable cache and temp files?

Yes.

> 2) If  proxy_buffering is on,  shouldn't nginx recieve the entire response,
> before send it to the cliente? Or does it wait only enough to fill the
> configured buffers?

No, it only waits for one buffer to be filled.

http://nginx.org/

Re: proxy_buffering off disable cache ?

Nelson Marcos
Thanks \o/