post_action, rewrites, and proxy_pass

Michael Payne
v1.4.6

I'm attempting to proxy pass requests to AWS API Gateway, but they are not reaching the endpoint.  Example of my configuration below. Requests come through as something like some.domain.com/some_resource

The final post_action hop at the bottom is attempting to pass the request and its params as http://dev-data.app.com/api/v3/some_resource

I've confirmed my rewrite logic, though no domain shows up in the log.  Same with the additional access_log.  I'd love more debug information as to what the final transformation is and the response it gets back. There are NO error or info logs on my http://dev-data.app.com/api/v3/some_resource API.

But mainly interested in my use of the syntax and the expectation.  Any tips as to what I am doing wrong?

server {
    listen 80 default_server;
    server_name some.domain.com;

    #...

location / {
proxy_ignore_client_abort on;
proxy_set_header X-Real-IP  $remote_addr;
proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $remote_addr;
proxy_set_header Host aq-prod.herokuapp.com;
post_action @stage;
}

location @stage {
post_action @app_log;
}

location @app_log {
post_action @dev;
}

location @dev {
#rewrite_log on;
rewrite ^ /api/v3$request_uri$1 break;
#access_log /var/log/nginx/proxy-access.log;