Quantcast

nginx-mail and proxy protocol

Kees Bos
Hi all,

Does someone have experience with nginx-mail and the proxy protocol?

Does nginx-mail have (or will is get) support for the 'proxy_protocol'
parameter to the 'listen' directive?

Cheers,

Kees

Re: nginx-mail and proxy protocol

Maxim Konovalov
Hi Kees,

On 20/04/2017 17:06, Kees Bos wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does someone have experience with nginx-mail and the proxy protocol?
>
> Does nginx-mail have (or will is get) support for the 'proxy_protocol'
> parameter to the 'listen' directive?

It doesn't. There were no plans for that basically because nobody
asked before.

What's your backend software which supports proxy proto?

Thanks,

Maxim

--
Maxim Konovalov

On do, 2017-04-20 at 17:12 +0300, Maxim Konovalov wrote:

> Hi Kees,
>
> On 20/04/2017 17:06, Kees Bos wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Does someone have experience with nginx-mail and the proxy
> > protocol?
> >
> > Does nginx-mail have (or will is get) support for the
> > 'proxy_protocol'
> > parameter to the 'listen' directive?
> >
> It doesn't. There were no plans for that basically because nobody
> asked before.
>
> What's your backend software which supports proxy proto?

I'm using haproxy in front of zimbra, which uses nginx to map the
pop/imap connections to the right mail store. The (nginx) pop/imap thus
cannot determine the right source ip unless the proxy protocol would we
supported.

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 05:12:18PM +0300, Maxim Konovalov wrote:

> Hi Kees,
>
> On 20/04/2017 17:06, Kees Bos wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Does someone have experience with nginx-mail and the proxy protocol?
> >
> > Does nginx-mail have (or will is get) support for the 'proxy_protocol'
> > parameter to the 'listen' directive?
> >
> It doesn't. There were no plans for that basically because nobody
> asked before.

There was at least one attempt to implement it.
http://mailman.nginx.org/pipermail/nginx-devel/2016-November/009083.html

http://nginx.org/

On 20/04/2017 17:41, Kees Bos wrote:

> On do, 2017-04-20 at 17:12 +0300, Maxim Konovalov wrote:
>> Hi Kees,
>>
>> On 20/04/2017 17:06, Kees Bos wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Does someone have experience with nginx-mail and the proxy
>>> protocol?
>>>
>>> Does nginx-mail have (or will is get) support for the
>>> 'proxy_protocol'
>>> parameter to the 'listen' directive?
>>>
>> It doesn't. There were no plans for that basically because nobody
>> asked before.
>>
>> What's your backend software which supports proxy proto?
>>

> I'm using haproxy in front of zimbra, which uses nginx to map the
> pop/imap connections to the right mail store. The (nginx) pop/imap thus
> cannot determine the right source ip unless the proxy protocol would we
> supported.

I think it is possible simplify things with the stream module unless
you're doing sophisticated auth with the mail module.

Have you ever thought about that?

--
Maxim Konovalov

On do, 2017-04-20 at 17:47 +0300, Maxim Konovalov wrote:

> On 20/04/2017 17:41, Kees Bos wrote:
> >
> > On do, 2017-04-20 at 17:12 +0300, Maxim Konovalov wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Kees,

> > > It doesn't. There were no plans for that basically because nobody
> > > asked before.
> > >
> > > What's your backend software which supports proxy proto?
> > >

> > I'm using haproxy in front of zimbra, which uses nginx to map the
> > pop/imap connections to the right mail store. The (nginx) pop/imap
> > thus
> > cannot determine the right source ip unless the proxy protocol
> > would we
> > supported.
> >
> I think it is possible simplify things with the stream module unless
> you're doing sophisticated auth with the mail module.
>
> Have you ever thought about that?

Hmm. I think I've not been totally clear. I'm not talking about
'proxy_protocol on', but about theĀ 'proxy_protocol' modifier of the
'listen' argument.

So, haproxy --ProxyProtocol--> nginx --> pop/imap