http/2 for Windows

Igal @ Lucee.org

Hi,

Is there a technical reason why the Windows binaries do not include the http/2 option?

I understand that it's advised to use Linux, but that's not always an option.

Thanks,

Igal Sapir

Lucee Core Developer
Lucee.org

Re: http/2 for Windows

S.A.N
Try

http://nginx-win.ecsds.eu/

with http/2 and many more features on Windows

Heiko

Posted at Nginx Forum: https://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,273059,273065#msg-273065

Re: http/2 for Windows

Igal @ Lucee.org

Thank you, but that's a commercial solution and your reply did not answer my question of whether there is a technical reason for the Windows binaries not including http/2 or not.

TBH, I will switch to Linux long before I pay 500 EUR per year with those restrictions.

Igal Sapir
Lucee Core Developer
Lucee.org

On 3/20/2017 11:54 PM, hheiko wrote:
Try

http://nginx-win.ecsds.eu/

with http/2 and many more features on Windows

Heiko

Posted at Nginx Forum: https://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,273059,273065#msg-273065

Re: http/2 for Windows

S.A.N
Those are itpp2012's windows builds I believe he is a admin on the mailing
list.

https://forum.nginx.org/profile.php?11,7488

Under all his posts it says he is a admin.

I have used his builds you can download them for free... Just like nginx
mainline builds from nginx.org But specific custom features cost money just
like you would have to pay for Nginx+ https://www.nginx.com/

But this is the latest build it seems
http://nginx-win.ecsds.eu/download/nginx%201.11.10.1%20Lion.zip That comes
compiled with everything you see in product files.

Posted at Nginx Forum: https://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,273059,273085#msg-273085

Re: http/2 for Windows

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 12:32:00PM -0700, Igal @ Lucee.org wrote:

> Is there a technical reason why the Windows binaries do not include the
> http/2 option?
>
> I understand that it's advised to use Linux, but that's not always an
> option.

There are no serious technical reasons.  We didn't add HTTP/2 to
Windows build mostly to avoid dealing with Windows debugging,
though this is no longer a good enough reason as the code is
more or less stable.

I've added HTTP/2 to the build, so the win32 version with HTTP/2
will be available later today.

http://nginx.org/

Re: http/2 for Windows

Igal @ Lucee.org

Awesome!  Thank you, Maxim :)

Igal Sapir
Lucee Core Developer
Lucee.org

Hello!

On 3/21/2017 7:10 AM, c0nw0nk wrote:
> I have used his builds you can download them for free...
I didn't see a download link at http://nginx-win.ecsds.eu/  other than
the commercial subscription

>   Just like nginx
> mainline builds from nginx.org But specific custom features cost money just
> like you would have to pay for Nginx+ https://www.nginx.com/
I am fine with paying for features when it's reasonable, or when it
supports a project that I like or use (e.g. NGINX+). In this case it
seemed like it was a matter of adding a switch to the build script,
which Maxim confirmed.

> But this is the latest build it seems
> http://nginx-win.ecsds.eu/download/nginx%201.11.10.1%20Lion.zip That comes
> compiled with everything you see in product files.
Cool.  Thanks.  But now that the official build will include http/2 I
think I'll stick with it since I'm already familiar with the setup there
and have some scripts to automate installing as a service etc.

Re: http/2 for Windows

S.A.N
Yeah I also notice the free builds are not exactly the most visible on their
webpage.

This is where you find them : http://i.imgur.com/byJ53VW.png

But the free builds come compiled with all the free Nginx addons you can
find on Github and other places.

nginx, nginx doc, Lua, Naxsi, Rtmp, HttpSubsModule, echo-nginx,
lower_upper_case, headers-more, auth_ldap, set-misc, lua-upstream,
encrypted-session, limit-traffic, AJP, form-input, upstream_jdomain,
ngx_cache_purge, nginx-http-concat, nginx-vod-module, nginx-module-vts

I use them because of Naxsi + Lua aswell as the problems in Windows listed
here http://nginx.org/en/docs/windows.html#known_issues itpp2012 fixed and
is available in his free builds.

It depends what your usage and requirements are but just like Nginx mainline
it is free same as the mainline versions and they include add-ons that are
free and are not selling anyone's add-ons/work to people illegally.

I am sure itpp2012 will see this himself and always clarifies on things.

I don't know if Maxim Dounin can tell us if Nginx Windows builds on the
nginx.org site will have these problems (
http://nginx.org/en/docs/windows.html#known_issues ) fixed like itpp2012
fixed for us anytime soon ?

Igal @ Lucee.org Wrote:

> >   Just like nginx
> > mainline builds from nginx.org But specific custom features cost
> money just
> > like you would have to pay for Nginx+ https://www.nginx.com/
> I am fine with paying for features when it's reasonable, or when it
> supports a project that I like or use (e.g. NGINX+). In this case it
> seemed like it was a matter of adding a switch to the build script,
> which Maxim confirmed.
>
> > But this is the latest build it seems
> > http://nginx-win.ecsds.eu/download/nginx%201.11.10.1%20Lion.zip That
> comes
> > compiled with everything you see in product files.
> Cool.  Thanks.  But now that the official build will include http/2 I
> think I'll stick with it since I'm already familiar with the setup
> there
> and have some scripts to automate installing as a service etc.

Re: http/2 for Windows

Igal @ Lucee.org

Thanks for the screenshot.  Not sure I would have found it without that.

I don't have need for those other modules.  If anything, the modules I'd like to have are the ngx_http_geo_module and possibly the nginx_tcp_proxy_module (https://github.com/yaoweibin/nginx_tcp_proxy_module).

I hope to switch to Linux soon anyway.  Then I'll just build nginx with the modules that I need.

Thanks,

Igal Sapir
Lucee Core Developer
Lucee.org