fail over

vedranf
Hi, folks, i am back with more info requests.

Does anybody have NGINX in fail over mode?  in case if one server fails then the other one will take over.  I know there are tons of tools to monitor for hardware failure, but i was just curious if anybody has something to monitor software level.

Thanks,

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,4283,4283#msg-4283

Re: fail over

InterNetX - Jürgen Gotteswinter
Hello,

we use nginx in combination with keepalived to get failover capability.

www.keepalived.org

to get nginx working with keepalived we hat to set the following sysctl
parameter:

/etc/sysctl.conf

net.ipv4.ip_nonlocal_bind = 1

Regards

Juergen

On 07/21/2009 05:55 PM, vburshteyn wrote:

> Hi, folks, i am back with more info requests.
>
> Does anybody have NGINX in fail over mode?  in case if one server fails then the other one will take over.  I know there are tons of tools to monitor for hardware failure, but i was just curious if anybody has something to monitor software level.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,4283,4283#msg-4283

Re: fail over

Igor Sysoev
On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 11:55:27AM -0400, vburshteyn wrote:

> Hi, folks, i am back with more info requests.
>
> Does anybody have NGINX in fail over mode?  in case if one server fails then the other one will take over.  I know there are tons of tools to monitor for hardware failure, but i was just curious if anybody has something to monitor software level.

nginx supports fail over for upstreams, but if you mean fail over between
two or more peer nginxes, then it is not supported. This is actually not
nginx's task at all.

--
Igor Sysoev
http://sysoev.ru/en/

Re: fail over

merlin corey
You can use any kind of load balancer, hardware or software based,
including free ones like HAProxy to accomplish this task that is
rightly not NginX's

On 7/22/09, Igor Sysoev <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 11:55:27AM -0400, vburshteyn wrote:
>
>> Hi, folks, i am back with more info requests.
>>
>> Does anybody have NGINX in fail over mode?  in case if one server fails
>> then the other one will take over.  I know there are tons of tools to
>> monitor for hardware failure, but i was just curious if anybody has
>> something to monitor software level.
>
> nginx supports fail over for upstreams, but if you mean fail over between
> two or more peer nginxes, then it is not supported. This is actually not
> nginx's task at all.
>

> --
> Igor Sysoev
> http://sysoev.ru/en/

Re: fail over

merlin corey
Also, there are various tools for redundancy among the OS platforms in
case you want true failover and not to ever pass to backup unless main
is down.  These tools may include but not necessarily be limited to
things like CARP in BSD, heartbeat, the previously mentioned
keepalived, etc.

Apologies for double short posts, but I am on my way to bed :).