execution error - pcre limits exceeded (-8)

execution error - pcre limits exceeded (-8)

Dino Edwards

Hello,

I have compiled nginx 1.12.0 with modsecurity on a Ubuntu 16.04 server and I’m running it as a reverse proxy in front of an Apache webserver which hosts a variety of different type of websites. After enabling modsecurity I’m starting to get a lot of the following errors in the error.log file:

execution error - pcre limits exceeded (-8)

At that point, web pages don’t load correctly.  Can someone help with this? I haven’t found anything useful on google except some references of adjusting my php.ini file which doesn’t seem to be relevant in my case.

Thanks

Re: execution error - pcre limits exceeded (-8)

Andrey Belov
Hi Dino,

On 20 Apr 2017, at 21:42, Dino Edwards <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

I have compiled nginx 1.12.0 with modsecurity on a Ubuntu 16.04 server and I’m running it as a reverse proxy in front of an Apache webserver which hosts a variety of different type of websites. After enabling modsecurity I’m starting to get a lot of the following errors in the error.log file:

execution error - pcre limits exceeded (-8)

At that point, web pages don’t load correctly.  Can someone help with this? I haven’t found anything useful on google except some references of adjusting my php.ini file which doesn’t seem to be relevant in my case.

Thanks

Which version of modsecurity are you using with nginx?

RE: execution error - pcre limits exceeded (-8)

Dino Edwards

Hi Andrei,

Which version of modsecurity are you using with nginx?

I’m using 2.9.1

Re: execution error - pcre limits exceeded (-8)

Andrey Belov

> On 21 Apr 2017, at 12:29, Dino Edwards <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Andrei,
>
> Which version of modsecurity are you using with nginx?
>
> I’m using 2.9.1

It's worth to try libmodsecurity (aka ModSecurity 3.x) + nginx connector instead:

https://github.com/SpiderLabs/ModSecurity/tree/v3/master
https://github.com/SpiderLabs/ModSecurity-nginx

Please note that libmodsecurity does not support all of ModSecurity 2.x features:
https://github.com/SpiderLabs/ModSecurity/wiki/ModSecurity-version-3-%28earlier-release-candidate-1%29

RE: execution error - pcre limits exceeded (-8)

Dino Edwards

>It's worth to try libmodsecurity (aka ModSecurity 3.x) + nginx connector instead:

>https://github.com/SpiderLabs/ModSecurity/tree/v3/master
>https://github.com/SpiderLabs/ModSecurity-nginx

>Please note that libmodsecurity does not support all of ModSecurity 2.x features:
>https://github.com/SpiderLabs/ModSecurity/wiki/ModSecurity-version-3-%28earlier-release-candidate-1%29

So, from what I understand, libmodsecurity is targeted for Nginx and it does not rely on apache2 elements anymore. Is this going to be stable enough for production or would I be better off with NAXSI?

RE: execution error - pcre limits exceeded (-8)

Dino Edwards

> It's worth to try libmodsecurity (aka ModSecurity 3.x) + nginx connector instead:

> https://github.com/SpiderLabs/ModSecurity/tree/v3/master
> https://github.com/SpiderLabs/ModSecurity-nginx

I'm trying to download/compile libmodsecurity and everything I read concerning Ubuntu, it instructs me to use build.sh (./build.sh), however when I clone https://github.com/SpiderLabs/ModSecurity/tree/v3/master build.sh file is not there. I'm not that familiar with git so I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

Re: execution error - pcre limits exceeded (-8)

Anoop Alias
From the docs:

yum install gcc-c++ flex bison yajl yajl-devel curl-devel curl GeoIP-devel doxygen zlib-devel pcre-devel
cd ModSecurity
git checkout -b v3/master origin/v3/master
sh build.sh
git submodule init
git submodule update

On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 5:43 PM, Dino Edwards <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's worth to try libmodsecurity (aka ModSecurity 3.x) + nginx connector instead:

> https://github.com/SpiderLabs/ModSecurity/tree/v3/master
> https://github.com/SpiderLabs/ModSecurity-nginx

I'm trying to download/compile libmodsecurity and everything I read concerning Ubuntu, it instructs me to use build.sh (./build.sh), however when I clone https://github.com/SpiderLabs/ModSecurity/tree/v3/master build.sh file is not there. I'm not that familiar with git so I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

Anoop P Alias