aarch64 packages for other Linux flavors

aarch64 packages for other Linux flavors

Emilio Fernandes
Hello Nginx team!

At https://nginx.org/en/linux_packages.html I see that only Ubuntu LTS versions support and provide packages for aarch64/arm64 architecture. Is there a chance to provide such for the other OSes too ? I am particularly interested in the latest versions of CentOS & Alpine. I know that I could use the packages provided by the OS but they update the version much later than the official release.

Gracias!
Emilio

Re: aarch64 packages for other Linux flavors

Martin Grigorov

On Mon, Mar 9, 2020 at 10:15 AM Emilio Fernandes <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Nginx team!

At https://nginx.org/en/linux_packages.html I see that only Ubuntu LTS versions support and provide packages for aarch64/arm64 architecture. Is there a chance to provide such for the other OSes too ? I am particularly interested in the latest versions of CentOS & Alpine. I know that I could use the packages provided by the OS but they update the version much later than the official release.

+1 for this suggestion from me!

Gracias!
Emilio

Re: aarch64 packages for other Linux flavors

Konstantin Pavlov
Hi Emilio, Martin,

10.03.2020 12:23, Martin Grigorov wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 9, 2020 at 10:15 AM Emilio Fernandes
>
>     Hello Nginx team!
>
>     At https://nginx.org/en/linux_packages.html I see that only Ubuntu
>     LTS versions support and provide packages for aarch64/arm64
>     architecture. Is there a chance to provide such for the other OSes
>     too ? I am particularly interested in the latest versions of CentOS
>     & Alpine. I know that I could use the packages provided by the OS
>     but they update the version much later than the official release.
>

> +1 for this suggestion from me!

Thanks for your interest in our packages!

By CentOS, do you want/need packages built for 8?  Asking because I
believe 7 is not officially released for Aarch64 - it's rather a
community build which doesnt fall into something we can support.

Thanks again,

--
Konstantin Pavlov
https://www.nginx.com/

Re: aarch64 packages for other Linux flavors

Emilio Fernandes
Hi Konstantin,

El mar., 10 mar. 2020 a las 13:04, Konstantin Pavlov (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
Hi Emilio, Martin,

10.03.2020 12:23, Martin Grigorov wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 9, 2020 at 10:15 AM Emilio Fernandes
>
>     Hello Nginx team!
>
>     At https://nginx.org/en/linux_packages.html I see that only Ubuntu
>     LTS versions support and provide packages for aarch64/arm64
>     architecture. Is there a chance to provide such for the other OSes
>     too ? I am particularly interested in the latest versions of CentOS
>     & Alpine. I know that I could use the packages provided by the OS
>     but they update the version much later than the official release.
>

> +1 for this suggestion from me!

Thanks for your interest in our packages!

By CentOS, do you want/need packages built for 8?  Asking because I
believe 7 is not officially released for Aarch64 - it's rather a
community build which doesnt fall into something we can support.

Yes, CentOS 8 is fine for us!
At http://isoredirect.centos.org/centos/7/isos/ there is "for CentOS 7 AltArch AArch64" [1]. Is this the one you prefer not to support ?

Thank you!

Emilio

Thanks again,

--
Konstantin Pavlov
https://www.nginx.com/

Re: aarch64 packages for other Linux flavors

Konstantin Pavlov
Hello,

10.03.2020 15:50, Emilio Fernandes wrote:

> Hi Konstantin,
>     Thanks for your interest in our packages!
>
>     By CentOS, do you want/need packages built for 8?  Asking because I
>     believe 7 is not officially released for Aarch64 - it's rather a
>     community build which doesnt fall into something we can support.
>

> Yes, CentOS 8 is fine for us!
> At http://isoredirect.centos.org/centos/7/isos/ there is "for CentOS 7
> AltArch AArch64" [1]. Is this the one you prefer not to support ?
>
> 1. https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/AltArch

Our policy is to provide packages for officially upstream-supported
distributions.

https://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/General#What_architectures_are_supported.3F
states that they only support x86_64, and aarch64 is unofficial.

--
Konstantin Pavlov
https://www.nginx.com/

El mar., 10 mar. 2020 a las 15:31, Konstantin Pavlov (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
Hello,

10.03.2020 15:50, Emilio Fernandes wrote:
> Hi Konstantin,
>     Thanks for your interest in our packages!
>
>     By CentOS, do you want/need packages built for 8?  Asking because I
>     believe 7 is not officially released for Aarch64 - it's rather a
>     community build which doesnt fall into something we can support.
>

> Yes, CentOS 8 is fine for us!
> At http://isoredirect.centos.org/centos/7/isos/ there is "for CentOS 7
> AltArch AArch64" [1]. Is this the one you prefer not to support ?
>
> 1. https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/AltArch

Our policy is to provide packages for officially upstream-supported
distributions.

https://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/General#What_architectures_are_supported.3F
states that they only support x86_64, and aarch64 is unofficial.

I understand!
CentOS 8 and Alpine 3 are just fine!

Thank you!

Emilio

--
Konstantin Pavlov
https://www.nginx.com/

On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 3:31 PM Konstantin Pavlov <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

10.03.2020 15:50, Emilio Fernandes wrote:
> Hi Konstantin,
>     Thanks for your interest in our packages!
>
>     By CentOS, do you want/need packages built for 8?  Asking because I
>     believe 7 is not officially released for Aarch64 - it's rather a
>     community build which doesnt fall into something we can support.
>

> Yes, CentOS 8 is fine for us!
> At http://isoredirect.centos.org/centos/7/isos/ there is "for CentOS 7
> AltArch AArch64" [1]. Is this the one you prefer not to support ?
>
> 1. https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/AltArch

Our policy is to provide packages for officially upstream-supported
distributions.

https://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/General#What_architectures_are_supported.3F
states that they only support x86_64, and aarch64 is unofficial.

Here is something you may find interesting.
https://github.com/varnishcache/varnish-cache/pull/3263 - a PR I've created for Varnish Cache project.
It is based on Docker + QEMU and builds packages for different versions of Debian/Ubuntu/Centos/Alpine for both x64 and aarch64.

Regards,
Martin

--
Konstantin Pavlov
https://www.nginx.com/

El vie., 3 abr. 2020 a las 16:48, Martin Grigorov (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
Hi Konstantin,

On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 3:31 PM Konstantin Pavlov <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

10.03.2020 15:50, Emilio Fernandes wrote:
> Hi Konstantin,
>     Thanks for your interest in our packages!
>
>     By CentOS, do you want/need packages built for 8?  Asking because I
>     believe 7 is not officially released for Aarch64 - it's rather a
>     community build which doesnt fall into something we can support.
>

> Yes, CentOS 8 is fine for us!
> At http://isoredirect.centos.org/centos/7/isos/ there is "for CentOS 7
> AltArch AArch64" [1]. Is this the one you prefer not to support ?
>
> 1. https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/AltArch

Our policy is to provide packages for officially upstream-supported
distributions.

https://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/General#What_architectures_are_supported.3F
states that they only support x86_64, and aarch64 is unofficial.

Here is something you may find interesting.
https://github.com/varnishcache/varnish-cache/pull/3263 - a PR I've created for Varnish Cache project.
It is based on Docker + QEMU and builds packages for different versions of Debian/Ubuntu/Centos/Alpine for both x64 and aarch64.

Nice work, Martin!

@Konstantin: any idea when the new aarch64 packages will be available ? May we help you somehow ?

Gracias!
Emilio

Regards,
Martin

--
Konstantin Pavlov
https://www.nginx.com/

15.04.2020 14:21, Emilio Fernandes wrote:

>         Our policy is to provide packages for officially upstream-supported
>         distributions.
>
>         https://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/General#What_architectures_are_supported.3F
>         states that they only support x86_64, and aarch64 is unofficial.
>

>     Here is something you may find interesting.
>     https://github.com/varnishcache/varnish-cache/pull/3263 - a PR I've
>     created for Varnish Cache
>     project.<https://github.com/varnishcache/varnish-cache/pull/3263>
>     It is based on Docker + QEMU and builds packages for different
>     versions of Debian/Ubuntu/Centos/Alpine for both x64 and aarch64.
>

> Nice work, Martin!
>
> @Konstantin: any idea when the new aarch64 packages will be available ?
> May we help you somehow ?

I've just published RHEL8/CentOS8 aarch64 packages for nginx stable on
http://nginx.org/packages/rhel/8/aarch64/.  The mainline will follow the
suit soon, as well as proper documentation on
http://nginx.org/en/linux_packages.html.

With Alpine, it is proving to be more difficult than we thought, as
there are problems runing those on AWS EC2 which we use on our build
farm: https://github.com/mcrute/alpine-ec2-ami/issues/28 .

--
Konstantin Pavlov
https://www.nginx.com/

El mar., 21 abr. 2020 a las 20:23, Konstantin Pavlov (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
Hi Emilio,

15.04.2020 14:21, Emilio Fernandes wrote:
>         Our policy is to provide packages for officially upstream-supported
>         distributions.
>
>         https://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/General#What_architectures_are_supported.3F
>         states that they only support x86_64, and aarch64 is unofficial.
>

>     Here is something you may find interesting.
>     https://github.com/varnishcache/varnish-cache/pull/3263 - a PR I've
>     created for Varnish Cache
>     project.<https://github.com/varnishcache/varnish-cache/pull/3263>
>     It is based on Docker + QEMU and builds packages for different
>     versions of Debian/Ubuntu/Centos/Alpine for both x64 and aarch64.
>

> Nice work, Martin!
>
> @Konstantin: any idea when the new aarch64 packages will be available ?
> May we help you somehow ?

I've just published RHEL8/CentOS8 aarch64 packages for nginx stable on
http://nginx.org/packages/rhel/8/aarch64/.  The mainline will follow the
suit soon, as well as proper documentation on
http://nginx.org/en/linux_packages.html.

That's great! Thank you!

With Alpine, it is proving to be more difficult than we thought, as
there are problems runing those on AWS EC2 which we use on our build
farm: https://github.com/mcrute/alpine-ec2-ami/issues/28 .

Looking forward this one to be resolved!

Gracias!
Emilio

--
Konstantin Pavlov
https://www.nginx.com/

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 8:23 PM Konstantin Pavlov <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Emilio,

15.04.2020 14:21, Emilio Fernandes wrote:
>         Our policy is to provide packages for officially upstream-supported
>         distributions.
>
>         https://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/General#What_architectures_are_supported.3F
>         states that they only support x86_64, and aarch64 is unofficial.
>

>     Here is something you may find interesting.
>     https://github.com/varnishcache/varnish-cache/pull/3263 - a PR I've
>     created for Varnish Cache
>     project.<https://github.com/varnishcache/varnish-cache/pull/3263>
>     It is based on Docker + QEMU and builds packages for different
>     versions of Debian/Ubuntu/Centos/Alpine for both x64 and aarch64.
>

> Nice work, Martin!
>
> @Konstantin: any idea when the new aarch64 packages will be available ?
> May we help you somehow ?

I've just published RHEL8/CentOS8 aarch64 packages for nginx stable on
http://nginx.org/packages/rhel/8/aarch64/.  The mainline will follow the
suit soon, as well as proper documentation on
http://nginx.org/en/linux_packages.html.

Awesome!

With Alpine, it is proving to be more difficult than we thought, as
there are problems runing those on AWS EC2 which we use on our build
farm: https://github.com/mcrute/alpine-ec2-ami/issues/28 .

Thanks for the update!
I've just "voted" on this issue!

Regards,
Martin

--
Konstantin Pavlov
https://www.nginx.com/

Re: aarch64 packages for other Linux flavors

Emilio Fernandes
Hi Konstantin,

El mar., 21 abr. 2020 a las 20:23, Konstantin Pavlov (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
Hi Emilio,

15.04.2020 14:21, Emilio Fernandes wrote:
>         Our policy is to provide packages for officially upstream-supported
>         distributions.
>
>         https://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/General#What_architectures_are_supported.3F
>         states that they only support x86_64, and aarch64 is unofficial.
>

>     Here is something you may find interesting.
>     https://github.com/varnishcache/varnish-cache/pull/3263 - a PR I've
>     created for Varnish Cache
>     project.<https://github.com/varnishcache/varnish-cache/pull/3263>
>     It is based on Docker + QEMU and builds packages for different
>     versions of Debian/Ubuntu/Centos/Alpine for both x64 and aarch64.
>

> Nice work, Martin!
>
> @Konstantin: any idea when the new aarch64 packages will be available ?
> May we help you somehow ?

I've just published RHEL8/CentOS8 aarch64 packages for nginx stable on
http://nginx.org/packages/rhel/8/aarch64/.  The mainline will follow the
suit soon, as well as proper documentation on
http://nginx.org/en/linux_packages.html.

With Alpine, it is proving to be more difficult than we thought, as
there are problems runing those on AWS EC2 which we use on our build
farm: https://github.com/mcrute/alpine-ec2-ami/issues/28 .

I guess you follow the GitHub issue but just in case: Mike Crute just announced a beta AMI for Alpine: https://github.com/mcrute/alpine-ec2-ami/issues/28#issuecomment-635618625
If there are no major issues he will release an official one next week.

Gracias,
Emilio

--
Konstantin Pavlov
https://www.nginx.com/

Re: aarch64 packages for other Linux flavors

Konstantin Pavlov
Hello Emilio,

29.05.2020 10:23, Emilio Fernandes wrote:
> Hi Konstantin,
>
> I guess you follow the GitHub issue but just in case: Mike Crute just
> announced a beta AMI for
> Alpine: https://github.com/mcrute/alpine-ec2-ami/issues/28#issuecomment-635618625
> If there are no major issues he will release an official one next week.

Indeed, we do follow this issue - rest assured we're going to use the
release when it happens.  That being said, it seems the needed kernel
changes for the AMI to boot will only be there for 3.12, which means
we're going to be limited to that Alpine version for ARM builds if not
backported to previous releases.

Thanks!

--
Konstantin Pavlov