Why is my server response time over 400 ms for a fully cached site?

Why is my server response time over 400 ms for a fully cached site?

Quintin Par

Cross-posted at Stackoverflow

I have a website with all of the pages served from nginx’s http cache and rarely invalidated or expired.

The average total page download size is around 2 MB But despite being a static site with no funny logic my server response is around a second

https://d.pr/NUxu2a

I recorded nginx’s $request_time and it comes to around 400 milliseconds from the server

https://d.pr/HGhZZy

and each file at 20-30 KB average

https://d.pr/kSSUkB

400 millisecond seems to be absurd.

I am behind Cloudflare and

sendfile        on;

tcp_nopush     off;

tcp_nodelay on;

keepalive_timeout  300s;

keepalive_requests 10000;

What should I be doing to bring down the response time to the 150-millisecond range?

- Quintin