When does NGINX start logging

vergil
I'm going over some Web Server STIGs (referenced here:
https://www.stigviewer.com/stig/web_server_security_requirements_guide/) to
make sure my NGINX web server is configured to comply with those security
requirements. One of the requirements is that "The web server must initiate
session logging upon start up." So my question is: Are there any NGINX
documentation or resource that shows NGINX starts logging as soon as it's
started before any requests are handled?

I assume that it does by default as each request comes in and is handled
based on configurations made in nginx.conf. To get approval for the use of
NGINX at my workplace, it would be a big help to be able to provide some
sort of proof or resource showing what modules are up and running by the
time requests are being processed. Having a brief window of a module or
logging not ready once requests are being handled would be a vulnerability
concern if an attacker were to flooding requests at start up.

Posted at Nginx Forum: https://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,288932,288932#msg-288932

RE: When does NGINX start logging

Reinis Rozitis
> I'm going over some Web Server STIGs (referenced here:
> https://www.stigviewer.com/stig/web_server_security_requirements_guide
> /) to make sure my NGINX web server is configured to comply with those
> security requirements. One of the requirements is that "The web server must
> initiate session logging upon start up." So my question is: Are there any
> NGINX documentation or resource that shows NGINX starts logging as soon
> as it's started before any requests are handled?

Imho for that to be true you would need to run nginx in debug mode with debug log.
http://nginx.org/en/docs/debugging_log.html

Since for a typical request / web application there is usually  one line in the access log as the webserver has to wait for the upstream (or even on disk) to return the response (based on it has to decide on the http return code / content length etc).

rr