Testing the performance of NGINX for both http and https traffic.

Testing the performance of NGINX for both http and https traffic.

Kaushal Shriyan
Hi,

I am running nginx version: nginx/1.16.1 on CentOS Linux release 7.8.2003 (Core) and have hosted my website on nginx for both http (port 80) and https (port 443) traffic. Is there a way to find out the below mentioned performance metrics.
  1. Measure Nginx webserver performance for both http and https traffic.
  2. Measure system resources like CPU, Memory (RAM) and Network bandwidth consumed by Nginx web server to handle both http and https traffic.
Please let me know if you need any additional configurations and I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks in Advance.

Best Regards,

Kaushal

Re: Testing the performance of NGINX for both http and https traffic.

Kaushal Shriyan

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 8:16 PM Kaushal Shriyan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I am running nginx version: nginx/1.16.1 on CentOS Linux release 7.8.2003 (Core) and have hosted my website on nginx for both http (port 80) and https (port 443) traffic. Is there a way to find out the below mentioned performance metrics.
  1. Measure Nginx webserver performance for both http and https traffic.
  2. Measure system resources like CPU, Memory (RAM) and Network bandwidth consumed by Nginx web server to handle both http and https traffic.
Please let me know if you need any additional configurations and I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks in Advance.

Best Regards,

Kaushal

Hi,

I will appreciate if someone can pitch in for my earlier post to this mailing list. Thanks in advance and i look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

Kaushal

Re: Testing the performance of NGINX for both http and https traffic.

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 08:16:28PM +0530, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:

Hi there,

> Is there a way to find out the below mentioned
> performance metrics.
>
>    1. Measure Nginx webserver performance for both http and https traffic.
>    2. Measure system resources like CPU, Memory (RAM) and Network bandwidth
>    consumed by Nginx web server to handle both http and https traffic.

There is not much nginx-specific in the question here.

For measuring webserver performance, your favourite web search engine
will probably give lots of links.

"ab" and "siege" have been around for a while.

For measuring system resource usage, search for generic tools suitable
for your operating system.

You could periodically run commands like "uptime" and "free" and see how
they change as the load changes. Or use something like "sar" to handle
the "periodic" part.

"network traffic" during a web request is probably most easily counted
by the client. If you do care about network retries and the like,
then monitoring the interface traffic using something like "bmon" or
well-known snmp polling may be useful.

Overall - measuring performance or resource metrics is mostly unrelated
to the thing being tested. The hard part is usually deciding what you
do and do not want to measure. Then find (or build) a tool that does
what you want and does not do what you do not want.

So you may find it useful to investigate measuring tools for your system,
while waiting to see if there is a more specific answer provided on
the list.