Strange LAN access error

Joe Curtis
On my LAN I have 3 windows 10 pc's, 1 Linux PC( Fedora 25 with apache2),
1 Raspberry Pi2b (Moode audio) and 2 Raspberry Pi3B's( NGINX), all
behind a TalkTalk router with a mixture of ethernet and Wi-Fi links. One
of the Pi3B's is running Cumulus software linked to a weather station
and has a nginx sever hosting a weather web site
(www.craythorneweather.info) The other Pi3B has a nginx server acting as
proxy server to pass weather requests to the weather Pi3 or to a
community site on the fedora machine as appropriate. The second Pi3 in
addition to acting as a proxy server also hosts its own (development)
web site.

I can get to all the web sites externally from the WAN but have hit a
snag accessing locally on the LAN. Using a browser (Firefox) on one of
the pc's I can get to the Fedora server or the weather Pi3 server using
the LAN ip address without a problem, if I try the lan address of the
other Pi3 the browser appends www.craythorneweather.info many hundreds
of times to the URI until I get a '414 Request-URI Too Large' error
message from the nginx server (1.10.3).

Any help getting to the bottom of this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe Curtis

Re: Strange LAN access error

Tolga Ceylan
This is difficult to assess without specific details of your environment, but
assuming that your http headers are not really that large, 414 could be a sign
that you perhaps have a loop somewhere and forwarding requests between
your servers until you hit 414.

Again this is assuming that you have a 'proxy-set-header' in one of
these proxies,
which eventually overflows the http header. Perhaps your local LAN DNS is not
setup correctly, so your router and/or proxies form a traffic loop.