PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR after kernel update

PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR after kernel update

Ken Wright
I hope someone more knowledgeable than I am can help here.

A day or two ago I ran some routine updates on my Ubuntu Server 18.04.
No big deal, right?  The only unusual thing was the kernel updated as
well, but I've updated the kernel on this machine many times before with
no problems.  This time, however, was different.

The updates ran with no difficulty, I rebooted the server to start using
the new kernel, and that's when the troubles began.  Ever since, when I
try to go to the server from a browser, I get an error message that says
"PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR"  I Googled this error and the suggestion was made
that it was a flaw with my SSL certificates.  I reinstalled those, but
to no avail.  I'm still getting the same error.

I'm sorry to have run on this long about the problem, but I wanted to
give as much info as I have.  Any further information is available on
request.

Help!

Ken

--
Registered Linux user #483005

If you ever think international relations make sense, remember this:
because a Serb shot an Austrian in Bosnia, Germany invaded Belgium.

Re: PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR after kernel update

lists@lazygranch.com
You could test the cert using SSL labs.
https://www.ssllabs.com/
You might have a drop your firewall if it doesn't work at first.

It never hurts to do dumb stuff like boot the server again.

On 10/4/19 12:25 AM, lists wrote:
> You could test the cert using SSL labs.
> https://www.ssllabs.com/
> You might have a drop your firewall if it doesn't work at first.
>
> It never hurts to do dumb stuff like boot the server again.

Okay, I rebooted the server then tried testing the cert.  SSL Labs
reports no secure protocols supported.  Once again, I'm lost.  I know I
set up the server to use LetsEncrypt certs, and I've checked them;
they're there.  I tried disabling the server's firewall and testing
again, only to get the same message.

Ken

--
Registered Linux user #483005

If you ever think international relations make sense, remember this:
because a Serb shot an Austrian in Bosnia, Germany invaded Belgium.

Re: PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR after kernel update

J. Lewis Muir
On 10/04, Ken Wright wrote:
> Okay, I rebooted the server then tried testing the cert.  SSL Labs
> reports no secure protocols supported.  Once again, I'm lost.  I know I
> set up the server to use LetsEncrypt certs, and I've checked them;
> they're there.  I tried disabling the server's firewall and testing
> again, only to get the same message.

Can you check your nginx server logs?

Can you check that the same content can be served over plain HTTP?

Can you check that all of your nginx and Let's Encrypt configuration
files are still intact?

Can you check that your file systems are not full?

Can you share a curl command that shows your output that others could
use to compare to your output?

Lewis

On 10/4/19 10:19 AM, J. Lewis Muir wrote:
> Can you check your nginx server logs?
My nginx error.log is ten thousand lines of:

2019/10/05 21:54:08 [error] 2034#2034: *8497989 no "ssl_certificate" is
defined in server listening on SSL port while SSL handshaking, client:
192.168.44.1, server: 0.0.0.0:443
> Can you check that the same content can be served over plain HTTP?
I've got everything set up to redirect to https.  Sorry.
> Can you check that all of your nginx and Let's Encrypt configuration
> files are still intact?
All good.
> Can you check that your file systems are not full?
According to parted, there's plenty of room on the drive.
> Can you share a curl command that shows your output that others could
> use to compare to your output?
Umm, now you've gone a bit beyond me.  Can you dumb it down a bit?

Ken

--
Registered Linux user #483005

If you ever think international relations make sense, remember this:
because a Serb shot an Austrian in Bosnia, Germany invaded Belgium.

Re: PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR after kernel update

Francis Daly
On Sat, Oct 05, 2019 at 10:09:28PM -0400, Ken Wright wrote:
> On 10/4/19 10:19 AM, J. Lewis Muir wrote:

Hi there,

> > Can you check your nginx server logs?
> My nginx error.log is ten thousand lines of:
>
> 2019/10/05 21:54:08 [error] 2034#2034: *8497989 no "ssl_certificate" is
> defined in server listening on SSL port while SSL handshaking, client:
> 192.168.44.1, server: 0.0.0.0:443

That looks like a fairly clear set of words for an error message.

From your configuration, can you see why nginx thinks that your server{}
that does listen on port 443 for SSL does not have a "ssl_certificate"
directive?

Possibilities include:

* there is one such server{}, and it has no "ssl_certificate" line.

* there is one such server{}, and it has a "ssl_certificate" line, but
it is commented out; or perhaps the previous line is like "server_name"
and does not end in a semi-colon;

* there is more than one such server, and the one that you think you
have told nginx to use is not the one that you actually told nginx to use.

Something like the output of

  nginx -T | grep -E -n 'configuration|server|listen|ssl'

might show what relevant configuration your nginx is reading, and might
help show what should be changed in order to make things work.

Re: PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR after kernel update

Ken Wright
Okay, after checking per Francis' suggestion I found the problem:  I was
able to add the ssl_certificates to the active server and now...

I'm getting a different error.

This one, however, I don't think is an nginx error.  When I point my
browser to my website, I get a "The page isn't redirecting properly"
message.  I'm going to contact my registrar and see what's going on now.

Francis, thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

Ken