Nginx forum open

Jim O

Hello,

Thank you Igor for giving us use of the domain name.

The location of the forum is http://forum.nginx.org. It’s a work in progress but let’s use it. There’s a location for suggestions there so post away if you have them.

If there is a desire for other languages I can set that up too.

Jim

Re: Nginx forum open

Shri @ DevLib.Org
Jim / Igor,

Happy to help .. we have some large VB forums on Nginx and have a fair bit of experience in admin / spam / SEO issues with them.

Would strongly recommend the NNTP modules for VB, Mobile Style (for many of us who browse on their phones..).

Drop me a note on [hidden email] if you need help.

Will register / post suggestions over the weekend.

Shri

RE: Nginx forum open

Jim O

Shri,

The NNTP module hasn’t been updated or supported in quite some time so not going to try to port it to 3.8.1.

Can you point me to a mobile style? I would offer it as an option.

Jim

Igor,

Is there any way to syndicate mailing list posts as RSS? Those I can import.

Jim

Re: Nginx forum open

Merlin-2

Is there any way to syndicate mailing list posts as RSS? Those I can import.

Jim

If Igor simply doesnt have time to make something centrally with the list backend but can specify how its stored, I would be willing to write some script or other to parse it and output the necessary RSS for importing everything (except for subscribe, unsubscribe, etc).

Alternatively, for external solutions, I might have some time to build a scraper that pulls from MARC.info or something and builds an RSS feed for you to import out of the old threads.  For current stuff, we'd probably want something posting (on the backend) that is subscribed to the list directly and reading its mbox.

Of course that's for the simple case of just dumping them to a single subforum.  Are we going to try to do complete replication?  I mean post all forum posts to the list and then therefore maintain replies between them, or just a one-to-one subforum?  I am for the one-to-one mapping based on a love for simple machines, and that it's easy to decouple the forum and mailing list if necessary.

Any of these rediculous meanderings making sense?

- Merlin

RE: Nginx forum open

Jim O

I’m all for the KISS (keep it simple stupid) approach and that’s why I created only a few forums/subforums.  But I would like to try to keep the format such that threads are threads wherever they are posted. At this point I am only using a gmail address and haven’t even set up mail at the domain. I assume that would require Igor to point a mail entry to the server, or setting it up on a separate domain.

As for the archives, I can make one forum for them. So anything posted before whatever date goes in there.