Nginx as reverse proxy in Openshift Cluster

Nginx as reverse proxy in Openshift Cluster

vergil
Hi,

I am new to Nginx and I could validate some of the reverse proxy scenarios
in Windows and Ubuntu machine successfully. However I am facing challenges
on validating them on Openshift cluster platform.

I am new to Docker/Kubernetes/Openshift. I am able to deploy the below Nginx
image in Openshift  and hit the welcome page url successfully.

"https://github.com/sclorg/nginx-ex"

Now I want to achieve the below things on the image.

1) Want to know what is the nginx version deployed on the above image.
2) Want to customize the nginx.conf file frequently and update my container
with the latest changes.
3) Want to use the latest version of nginx.
4) Want to know how to locate the nginx.conf file and other nginx files
deployed through the above image.
5) When I open a POD terminal, I can see Nginx 1.12 files are deployed in
/etc/nginx, can I upgrade this to latest version? are these files created by
the deployment of the above image?

Please clarify & help me on the above queries.

Posted at Nginx Forum: https://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,288492,288492#msg-288492

Re: Nginx as reverse proxy in Openshift Cluster

Aleksandar Lazic
Hi,

On 29.06.20 21:50, siva.pannier wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to Nginx and I could validate some of the reverse proxy scenarios
> in Windows and Ubuntu machine successfully. However I am facing challenges
> on validating them on Openshift cluster platform.
>
> I am new to Docker/Kubernetes/Openshift. I am able to deploy the below Nginx
> image in Openshift  and hit the welcome page url successfully.
>
> "https://github.com/sclorg/nginx-ex"
>
> Now I want to achieve the below things on the image.
>
> 1) Want to know what is the nginx version deployed on the above image.

You can see the image version in this line in the template.
https://github.com/sclorg/nginx-ex/blob/master/openshift/templates/nginx.json#L232-L236

When you deployed nginx whith the README command the will you have nginx 1.12
`oc new-app centos/nginx-112-centos7~https://github.com/sclorg/nginx-ex`
                    ^^^^^^^^^^

> 2) Want to customize the nginx.conf file frequently and update my container
> with the latest changes.

My suggestion is to use a configmap and mount it to the nginx conf dir.

The command are for the version abouve:

oc create configmap nginx-conf--from-file=nginx.conf=/path/to/your/local/nginx.conf
oc set volume dc/<YOUR-nginx-DC> --add --name=nginx-conf \
   --mount-path=/etc/opt/rh/rh-nginx112/nginx/nginx.conf --type=configmap \
   --configmap-name=nginx-conf

> 3) Want to use the latest version of nginx.

This requires some more tasks.
My suggestion:
* Create a Dockerfile with a "FROM nginx"
* Create a nginx conf and a configmap as described above.
* put everything into a git repository
* call ` oc new-app git-repo`

OpenShift will the create a BC/DC/SVC for you.
It is necessary to create a route to access the nginx setup.

`oc create route edge nginx --service=<Your-Service>`

https://docs.okd.io/3.11/dev_guide/routes.html

This could be a good start point for further adoption.

> 4) Want to know how to locate the nginx.conf file and other nginx files
> deployed through the above image.

This could be done via configmaps. The configmaps are limited to ~1MB afaik.

> 5) When I open a POD terminal, I can see Nginx 1.12 files are deployed in
> /etc/nginx, can I upgrade this to latest version? are these files created by
> the deployment of the above image?

As describe above I would recommend to create your own image with your requirements.

> Please clarify & help me on the above queries.

OpenShift have a quite detailed documentation. I strongly recommend to take a look there.
https://docs.okd.io/3.11/dev_guide/index.html
https://docs.openshift.com/container-platform/3.11/dev_guide/index.html
https://docs.openshift.com/container-platform/4.4/builds/understanding-image-builds.html

> Posted at Nginx Forum: https://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,288492,288492#msg-288492

Re: Nginx as reverse proxy in Openshift Cluster

vergil
Thank you so much for the guidance.

I did the deployment of the below image via Openshift Console. As per the
JSON, it should have picked the version 1.16. However it deployed the older
verison 1.12. Not sure whats wrong here.

"https://github.com/sclorg/nginx-ex"

Posted at Nginx Forum: https://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,288492,288506#msg-288506