Incorrectly getting mime-type for flv files

Incorrectly getting mime-type for flv files

Andrii Balytskyi
Hi,

I use Nginx in front of a Ruby on Rails application. When I upload an
flv file that will be processed by Paperclip, I always get the mime-type
as application/octet-stream although I have a mime.types file included
in nginx' configuration file.

My flv files on disk have a mime-type of application/octet-stream, but
Nginx shouldn't care and when he sees a file coming in he should reset
the mime-type (I guess). Where could the problem come from?

Best regards,

Re: Incorrectly getting mime-type for flv files

Jean-Philippe Moal
Fernando Perez a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I use Nginx in front of a Ruby on Rails application. When I upload an
> flv file that will be processed by Paperclip, I always get the mime-type
> as application/octet-stream although I have a mime.types file included
> in nginx' configuration file.

If you are refering to the mime type reported by paperclip (and inserted
into the db), this has nothing to do with the mime type that nginx uses.
Actually the mime type paperclip uses is taken from the user agent. If
it doesn't suit your needs use a hook in your rails model or a custom
paperclip processor.

> My flv files on disk have a mime-type of application/octet-stream, but
> Nginx shouldn't care and when he sees a file coming in he should reset
> the mime-type (I guess). Where could the problem come from?
>
> Best regards,

Re: Incorrectly getting mime-type for flv files

Andrii Balytskyi
> If you are refering to the mime type reported by paperclip (and inserted
> into the db), this has nothing to do with the mime type that nginx uses.
> Actually the mime type paperclip uses is taken from the user agent. If
> it doesn't suit your needs use a hook in your rails model or a custom
> paperclip processor.
Exactly. So what to use to correctly detect the content-type of an flv
file so that I can authorize it in paperclip? Plug mimetype_fu in?

Re: Incorrectly getting mime-type for flv files

Igor Sysoev
On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 10:20:27AM +0200, Fernando Perez wrote:

> > If you are refering to the mime type reported by paperclip (and inserted
> > into the db), this has nothing to do with the mime type that nginx uses.
> > Actually the mime type paperclip uses is taken from the user agent. If
> > it doesn't suit your needs use a hook in your rails model or a custom
> > paperclip processor.
> Exactly. So what to use to correctly detect the content-type of an flv
> file so that I can authorize it in paperclip? Plug mimetype_fu in?

nginx sets content-type depending on extension. If your flv have no
extensions you may set default mime-type for location:

locaiton /flvs/ {
    default_type  video/x-flv;

Igor Sysoev
http://sysoev.ru/en/