Help regarding setting IP_tos value in IP header

Help regarding setting IP_tos value in IP header

Kanika Singh

Hi,

I have a setup where I am trying to set IP_tos value in IP header when a request is forwarded from nginx server to another machine.

I have configured ngx_http_ip_tos_filter_module module in the nginx.conf file, but it is setting IP_tos value in the acknowledgement and not in the outgoing packets.

Can you please suggest which module or setting can I use to achieve my target.

Regards,

Kanika Singh

The contents of this e-mail and any attachment(s) are confidential and intended for the named recipient(s) only. It shall not attach any liability on the originator or NECTI or its affiliates. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of NECTI or its affiliates. Any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution and / or publication of this message without the prior written consent of the author of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please delete it and notify the sender immediately.

Re: Help regarding setting IP_tos value in IP header

Francis Daly
On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 05:37:00PM +0000, Kanika Singh wrote:

Hi there,

I don't have an answer for you; but possibly if you can provide more
specific details of the problem, perhaps someone else will be able
to help?

> I have a setup where I am trying to set IP_tos value in IP header when a request is forwarded from nginx server to another machine.
>
> I have configured ngx_http_ip_tos_filter_module module in the nginx.conf file, but it is setting IP_tos value in the acknowledgement and not in the outgoing packets.

There is the request from the client to nginx.

There is the request from nginx to the upstream.

There is the response from upstream to nginx.

There is the response from nginx to the client.

Which ones of these do show the IP_tos value that you want; and which
ones do not?

And: how are you looking, to see what the IP_tos value is, in each case?

That information might help identify where the problem is.