Health checks and reloads

Aditya Umrani
Hello,

We are using nginx plus and we use application health-checks. We want to move to the 'mandatory' parameter which requires that servers pass the health check before it becomes active.

Currently, we have a system which reloads all configs (rather than a diff based system which would just only apply the changes via the APIs). It does this by generating a new set of configs (routing rules, upstreams, etc) and then calling reload on the parent (which essentially results in creating new worker processes).

We are wondering what happens when nginx receives a reload. For an upstream (for simplicity - say 1 host in that upstream) which is present in the old config and is also present in the new config:
1. Will it block traffic till that host has successfully passed 'N' checks (configured)
2. Will it return 502's as there are no more active hosts to serve for this upstream.
3. Anything else?

Thanks,
Aditya

Re: Health checks and reloads

Maxim Konovalov
Hi Aditya,

On 26/04/2017 23:30, Aditya Umrani wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are using nginx plus and we use application health-checks. We
> want to move to the 'mandatory' parameter which requires that
> servers pass the health check before it becomes active.

[...]

I'd suggest to approach -plus support channel.  You can open a
support ticket just by forwarding this email.

--
Maxim Konovalov