Configuring a subnet in an upstream server

Configuring a subnet in an upstream server

Dynastic Space
Is it possible to configure a collection of servers using subnet notation in the upstream server knob? e.g. server 192.168.0.0/16.

Thanks,

Dynastic

Re: Configuring a subnet in an upstream server

nginx mailing list
What would be the meaning of that?

How do you route traffic to 192.168.0.0? Do you really want to send requests to 192.168.255.255?
How would you handle requests sent to some servers (but not all) if some are not responsive?

I suspect what you want to use is dynamic IP addresses for your backends. Good news: you can use domain names.​
---
B. R.

On Sun, Apr 2, 2017 at 8:42 AM, Dynastic Space <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is it possible to configure a collection of servers using subnet notation in the upstream server knob? e.g. server 192.168.0.0/16.

Thanks,

Dynastic

Re: Configuring a subnet in an upstream server

Dynastic Space
I used a poor example.
The functionality I was interested in was adding a range of application servers, all part of the same domain.

On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 11:04 AM, B.R. via nginx <[hidden email]> wrote:
What would be the meaning of that?

How do you route traffic to 192.168.0.0? Do you really want to send requests to 192.168.255.255?
How would you handle requests sent to some servers (but not all) if some are not responsive?

I suspect what you want to use is dynamic IP addresses for your backends. Good news: you can use domain names.​
---
B. R.

On Sun, Apr 2, 2017 at 8:42 AM, Dynastic Space <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is it possible to configure a collection of servers using subnet notation in the upstream server knob? e.g. server 192.168.0.0/16.

Thanks,

Dynastic

Re: Configuring a subnet in an upstream server

Aleksandar Lazic
Am 03-04-2017 18:09, schrieb Dynastic Space:

> I used a poor example.
> The functionality I was interested in was adding a range of application
> servers, all part of the same domain.

I think you have the following options.

.) or list every app server in the upstream block
http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_upstream_module.html#upstream
.) DNS rr with resolver
http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_core_module.html#resolver
.) in the commercial version is also a service=name and resolve possible
http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_upstream_module.html#server

You can also use a script which creates from 192.168.0.0/16 a server
line for the upstream and include it into the nginx.conf

You can add in the log format the upstream address to see to which app
server the request was forwarded.
http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_upstream_module.html#variables

Regards
Aleks