Compile Nginx

Praveen Kumar K S
Hello,

Can I compile nginx on Ubuntu 16.04 and reuse it on other deployments? Or do I need to compile every time ? Please advise.

Re: Compile Nginx

basti-2
It depends on how you compile.

First of all have a look at the repository of you distribution or nginx
itself it's easier to update for bugfix or security impacts.

The 2'nd way can be to upgrade you server and get a newer nginx.

If that all is not an option I would prefer a build a debian package. it
can be easily transferred and installed.
Be aware that a computer/ server can have different architectures.

On 28.04.20 14:42, Praveen Kumar K S wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Can I compile nginx on Ubuntu 16.04 and reuse it on other deployments?
> Or do I need to compile every time ? Please advise.

RE: Compile Nginx

Reinis Rozitis
> Can I compile nginx on Ubuntu 16.04 and reuse it on other deployments? Or do I need to compile every time ? Please advise.

As far as the hosts have all the shared libraries like openssl/pcre etc (you can check with 'ldd /path/to/nginx') there is no need to compile every time and you can just copy the nginx binary.

rr

Re: Compile Nginx

Praveen Kumar K S
I usually install from the official nginx apt repo. But since I want to use modules like more_set_headers which requires building nginx from source, I'm looking for best practices.

On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 6:50 PM Reinis Rozitis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Can I compile nginx on Ubuntu 16.04 and reuse it on other deployments? Or do I need to compile every time ? Please advise.

As far as the hosts have all the shared libraries like openssl/pcre etc (you can check with 'ldd /path/to/nginx') there is no need to compile every time and you can just copy the nginx binary.

rr

K S Praveen Kumar
M: +91-9986855625

Re: Compile Nginx

Anoop Alias
The Nginx binary compiled on one system can be run on a similar architecture system as it is portable code.

The ones you download from the repo are compiled on a machine to binary by the repo maintainer

you can ship the binary in a tool like rpm or deb

On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 7:13 PM Praveen Kumar K S <[hidden email]> wrote:
I usually install from the official nginx apt repo. But since I want to use modules like more_set_headers which requires building nginx from source, I'm looking for best practices.

On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 6:50 PM Reinis Rozitis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Can I compile nginx on Ubuntu 16.04 and reuse it on other deployments? Or do I need to compile every time ? Please advise.

As far as the hosts have all the shared libraries like openssl/pcre etc (you can check with 'ldd /path/to/nginx') there is no need to compile every time and you can just copy the nginx binary.

rr

K S Praveen Kumar
M: +91-9986855625

Anoop P Alias